Gavin Mayhew: Artist
Tel: 01388 517308
I am an artist based in Westgate, Weardale, Co. Durham. Originally an art teacher, I left full time teaching to pursue my own artistic aspirations.
My schizophrenic repertoire of work ranges from the depiction of movement in dance, music, sport and nature to my ‘dark side’, a gruesome array of Gothic humour mirroring life, politics, war, pollution, death and all that stuff.
- As well as exhibition and mural work, I run an adult art club/class and regular life drawing classes, I teach art A level night classes at Wolsingham Community College and have worked as a part-time lecturer in art/craft for Community Education at Bishop Auckland College.
- I have also organised art workshops for school projects, drug rehabilitation classes, youth projects (including summer schools) and art/craft for students with physical and learning difficulties.
- In 1992 I was chosen to represent County Durham in their cultural exchange scheme which resulted in two exhibitions staged in Germany.
- Following two successful exhibitions in the U.S.A. in February, 1999 I was invited back to the States to show my paintings in the twin county of Durham, North Carolina in August, 2000.
- I was chosen to represent county Durham at the Municipality of Royvas Painting Festival, Crete in August, 2006
- My work has been commissioned both home and abroad and has been featured on the Tyne Tees Television programme, ‘Dales Diary’
- I have gained a number of regional awards for art projects and teaching
- Feb, 2010 Leisure Painter magaziner ~ Simply the Best 2009 winner (Sponsor's Favourite)
- 2007 Wear Valley Mercury ~ centre spread, coverage of art class
- 2007 Weardale Gazette ~ revue of exhibition
- 2007 Sunderland Echo, Houghton Star, Washington Star ~ Coverage of art exhibition
- Feature of artist and work ~ Dales Diary ~ Tyne Tees Television
- Celebrity guest ~ Radio Cleveland ~ Interview about painting in acrylics
- Review ~ North East Tonight ~ I.T.V.
- Northern Echo ~ Centre page full colour article by Alistair Gilmore entitled, ‘A Mermaid in my Bathroom’
- Mini documentary on work ~ Radio Newcastle
- Coverage of ‘Prison Residency’ ~ Northern Life, B.B.C.
- Mini documentary on work ~ Northern Life, B.B.C.
CATALOGUES / PUBLISHED WORK
- 2001 Main feature ~ Weardale Gazette
- 1999 November issue ~ Artists and Illustrators Magazine
- 1999 Understanding Acrylics ~ promotional video ~ Daler/Rowney
- 1999 New York Art Expo catalogue
- Daler/Rowney International Art Paper
- 1994 Modern Painters ~ Fakes ‘94
1994 False or Fun ~ Sunday Express Art Supplement
- B.A. (Hons) Fine Art ~ Sunderland University
Community Champions Certificate ~ Bishop Auckland College
Cert of Continuing Ed. in Visual Arts ~ Durham University
- Teaching Cert (Distinction Art) ~ University Newcastle on Tyne
Diploma in Graphic Design ~ Hull College of Art
- 2010 Logo for Feisty Feet Dance Studio, London
- 2009 Album cover, Dee Expus
- 2006 Sign for Dipton Out of School Hours Club, Co. Durham
- 2006 Design for programme ~ Sunderland University Dance Department
2006 Sunderland University Dance Department Logo
- 2005 Daler/Rowney art demonstrator in acrylics
2004 Reception area, Recognition Marketing and P.R. Darlington
- 2003 Numerous residencies and murals in schools and organizations local and national
- 2000 Triptych, Our Lady and St.Thomas of Canterbury Church, Willington
2000 History of Tow Law Painting, St. Joseph’s Church, Crook
Dee Expus Album Cover
Works sell for between £50 and £3000